Doomed Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keybindings

5 posters

Go down

Keybindings Empty Keybindings

Post  Buculus Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:08 am

Which buttons do you use for your keybindings in wow? Do you use w/s/a/d to move / strafe (with rmb) and then q/e/z/x/c or e/d/s/f to move to have a/g/q/w/r/t/v/c/x/z for keybindings? And then 2nd and 3rd set with shift and ctrl?

I'm trying to sort out my keybindings now as I'm still a clicker on my warrior and priest Embarassed Never really had enough time to sit down and do them Razz Always when I start wow I just go and do q Razz Cba to do bindings yet Razz Same with macros Razz
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

https://doomedriders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Keybindings Empty Re: Keybindings

Post  Rawrrz Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:44 am

I use E/S/D/F to move rather than W/A/S/D because this gives me both Q and W to use as keybind if that makes sense?

currently I am using for skills 2/3/4/5/Q/W/A/Z/R/T/G/V/B

Think thats it tbh, I still click quite afew things, but have main things binded.
and because I play different toons/classes/alts etc I try to have the same kind of skills binded to the same key for each class, e.g. on my priest Silence is binded to B, so on my paladin the racial silence for BE's is set on B too xD

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Post  Temple Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:53 am

Buculus wrote:Which buttons do you use for your keybindings in wow? Do you use w/s/a/d to move / strafe (with rmb) and then q/e/z/x/c or e/d/s/f to move to have a/g/q/w/r/t/v/c/x/z for keybindings? And then 2nd and 3rd set with shift and ctrl?

I'm trying to sort out my keybindings now as I'm still a clicker on my warrior and priest Embarassed Never really had enough time to sit down and do them Razz Always when I start wow I just go and do q Razz Cba to do bindings yet Razz Same with macros Razz

Personally I use w/a/s/d and mouse to move - keybound keys are currenlty:

q, e, f, x, c, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - I don't currently use any Ctrl or Alt combinations - however my setup needs tweaking as I have more things I need to reach at short notice Smile. Oh and some of those keybinds are to macros for various things (Counterspell is on a macro so it will interrupt whatever else I'm doing, Polymorph macro is hierarchically cast on focus target/target/mouseover target, water elemental/w-elly frost nova/w-elly attack are all on the same bind, plus some others.....)

I use E/S/D/F to move rather than W/A/S/D because this gives me both Q and W to use as keybind if that makes sense?

Blimey - that's a *brilliant* idea...... I feel some changes coming on.

Temple

Back to top Go down

Post  Rawrrz Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:57 am

Blimey - that's a *brilliant* idea...... I feel some changes coming on.[/quote]

Haha xD
Yeah it frees up a nice close key (:

I use ` the key next to 1 for my mount which is quite nice and easy to reach, good for quick get aways or chases ;]

I dont myself use any alt/shift and anothe button combos ><
if i was it would prob only be stuff like shift and then certain keys I can reach with my index finger lol xD e.g. 4/5/r/t/g ><

I have a nice macro on my rogue, where you can mouseover a target and blind them, great for when fighting someone another ally comes Very Happy

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:17 am

Thanks lads Very Happy I was thinking about going a bit further and getting r/f/d/g for moving and then w/e/a/s/z/x on the left and v/b/n/h/j/t/y on thr right with 2/3/4/5/6 at the top. It might be too much though Smile Not sure if I need all of them Smile Will have to start with some macros and bindings over the weekend. The one with mount is a handy one Rawrrz Very Happy

What to you use to turn around when in pvp? I can turn around when i press rmb and move mouse left/right but it's not very handy (very quick though) as it also tend to move my screen up and down if you know what I mean. Is there any other way for really quick turns? Standard movement buttons are way too slow in pvp and by the time I turn around the pesky rogue is again behind my back Very Happy hehehe Very Happy I guess there's no way to bind fast movements... is mouse my only hope? Wondering how would it be with trackball... Hmmm... this could be really handy if I could get one with multiple buttons Very Happy What do you think lads? Smile Have you ever tried trackball with wow? Smile I don't use mouse much apart from clicking spells (this might be bugger with trackbal but bindings should sort this out) and fast truns in pvp.

I guess I'll start with bindings for instant abilities as these with cd can be easily clicked (when you see end of cd). And maybe bind 2 or 3 for now to get use to it. If I bind too much I'll be mixing them all up for sure Very Happy

EDIT: How does mouseover exactly work? If I create a macro with it I mean. Am I right in saying that all I have to do is to move mouse over/on other target without clicking it and just activate macro? Do I have to have their health bar visible (ctrl+V) and mouse over it or just over the toon in general?

Thanks Smile
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Temple Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:31 am

I think you will have a hard time with a trackball, I know I couldn't get on with one for gaming of this kind. I use the mouse for turning, it's pretty much second nature now - try playing with the sensitivity - it might help.

As for mouseover - just hover the pointer over your target - voila!

Temple

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:36 am

Hmmm I'm tempted to try trackball but don't have any and I doubt I'll be buying one just to try if it works Razz I might try with sensivity as you said. It's really annoying when I want to turn right/left bit further and have to move mouse back cos am at the edge of the pad if you know what I mean Wink This would not / should not be the case with trackball as you just roll the ball Razz

Thanks for clearing mouseover for me Wink Just wondering how acurate it is when I have few mobs/allys around me... Is it enough when I point them with pointer or it has to be over them?
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anaplian Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:39 am

I have to remap lots of games now to fit my "common" control scheme, a result of picking things up from several different games over the years. The only thing I use the mouse for is camera panning and specific target selection nowadays.

Old habits I'll never be able to break include WASD for moving and strafing, QE for turning, R for autorun, F for follow, Backspace for replying to whispers.

I also have three rows of action bars, with basic numbers for the bottom one, Alt+number for the middle one, and Ctrl+number for the top bar. (Shift+number targets teammates, although I don't have much use for that with a Hunter.)

My keyboard is an old Logitech G15 with 3 groups of 2x3 buttons along the left-hand side, so I use those for Aspects/Tracking/Drinking/Bandages, etc.

I've started crafting binds and macros to reduce the number of keys I need though:

Alt+1 is my "pet" macro, which casts Hunter's Mark on my target, sets focus, and tells the pet to attack. Pressing it again recalls the pet, and if I don't have a pet, it summons/resurrects as needed.

The easy number keys like 1-6 are my commonly used attacks as you'd expect, but I replaced them with macros that by default use the ranged attacks, but if I'm in melee, uses a similar melee attack instead. (i.e. Arcane Shot is my main ranged heavy hitter, but in melee the same key performs Raptor Strike. Concussive Shot also does Wing Clip so I use the same key to slow someone, etc.)

I use ` for mounting like Rawrrz, with a few extras. If I'm unmounted then I do so, but not before casting Aspect of the Beast to make me untrackable so I don't get spotted on my way. If I'm already mounted, or unable to mount, then it demounts and casts Aspect of the Cheetah for the extra speed.

The rest are little things like G18 (a Logitech key) to Mend Pet, but Ctrl+G18 to Feed Pet. Smile
Anaplian
Anaplian

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:54 am

Nice one Ana Very Happy Your post gave me an idea to try something out Very Happy Unfortunatelly I don't have any fancy keybord as I use laptop but I have Logitech MX Revolution mouse which has two scroll wheels and a couple of additional buttons Very Happy I think these can be keybinded too, can't they? Smile Hmmm if they can then I could keybind some main abilities to 2nd scroll wheel, which is not really a scroll wheel as it moves front/back only by like half a turn (so it can act as a button I guess) and then two buttons over the thumb and middle small button on the top Very Happy I only hope it's doable Razz
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rawrrz Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:05 am

as for mouse over you just hover the pointer on the target and then you set a keybind for the marco.
E.g. on my rogue that blind marco is binded to 'B' so am fighting someone another ally comes just hover mouse on him and click 'B' and the 2nd ally is blinded Very Happy

as for moving, in PvP I hold down the right mouse button to turn and stuff and then just use the 'forward' button to move and il use my thumb to jump about if needed xD
One of the best things to do would prob be to move purely using the mouse by holding down both right and left buttons to make your self move and then there is no need to use the 'forward button' this then allows you to have a completely free hand so you can reach any keybind you like alot easier, where as with what I do (the 1st way I said) I can only use keybinds a can reach while using the forward key.

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:18 am

Good man Rawrrz Very Happy You gave me another idea with this lmb+rmb running and rmb turning around Very Happy This also moves camera so the only problem would be with moving back/jumping back when you still want to keep your target in front of you. I need to try to move in game by useing mouse only without w/s/a/d at all. If it's handy enough I might not use keyboard for moving at all and just use all keys for bindings Very Happy This would be great Smile All fingers free for spells and macros and all movement covered by mouse with few more bindings Very Happy I can feel some changes coming big time Very Happy

The only thing left will be moving back/jumping back... Maybe space for jumps and some button above it for moving back like B? Then all I'll have to do is to hit B+Space to jump back when needed and this can be done with one finger Razz

The best thing is that I'll change everything and for first few days will be running around using wrong abilities and hiting walls all the time Very Happy Might be worth it at the end though Razz

One more question (I can check it myself in the evening but maybe you know it already): do I have to release lmb and stop running to turn around with rmb? I mean I have rmb+lmb and I run and want to do quick turn - do I have to release lmb for a sec, turn and hit it again or the fact that rmb is already pressed will do the trick?
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rawrrz Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:39 am

Buculus wrote:
One more question (I can check it myself in the evening but maybe you know it already): do I have to release lmb and stop running to turn around with rmb? I mean I have rmb+lmb and I run and want to do quick turn - do I have to release lmb for a sec, turn and hit it again or the fact that rmb is already pressed will do the trick?

Just move the mouse to move while running with lmb+rmb, that will also move you

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:53 am

Good stuff Smile Thanks Smile Was wondering because lmb move camera around so was not sure what will happen with lmb+rmb (will move camera or my toon) Smile
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gredeth Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:18 am

I move with WASD and hold the right mouse button down 99% of the time I'm online and use it to turn. Smile

I have my most used skills in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Q, E, V, T and Y
I have a habit to put the most used skill (usually the 'spam' skill) to 4 as it's really easy to press while moving around. I always put my racial skill to Shift+5 and PvP trinket to G. Mount to Shift+4 OR Ctrl+Mouse buton 4 (left side). I think I'm going in too much detail Very Happy

Basically 1-6, Shift+1-5, Ctrl+1-5, Q, Shift+Q, Ctrl+Q, Alt+Q, E (same modifieres as Q Razz), V (+modifiers), F, Shift+F, G, Shift+G, Mouse buttons 3-4 and modifiers.

I don't know why but I just can't get myself to unbind sit, Z (the weapon thing, can't remember what it's called Razz) etc. OH and my most important keybindings:
Drink = ,
Food = .

Very Happy
Gredeth
Gredeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Temple Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:39 am

Kadath wrote:Drink = ,
Food = .

I have a macro:

Hold down Alt: Press once to conjure food, press again to conjure water, press again to conjure mana gem
Same button: press once to eat *and* drink

It's one of my favourites Smile

Temple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum