Doomed Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lich King tactics (please read before going to the raid)

2 posters

Go down

The Lich King tactics (please read before going to the raid) Empty The Lich King tactics (please read before going to the raid)

Post  Shanla Fri May 14, 2010 4:42 am

In this topic we will explain the tactics for the Lich King as we progress through the phases. Each time we successfully pass a phase, the tactics for that phase will be added. I would like that each group (tanks, dps, healers) add the tactics for that point of view so that everyone will know what to do. Smile

Phase 1

General
Necrotic plague will be cast on a random raid member. This plague jumps to a nearby target (including the Horrors) and will 1 shot a raid member if not dispelled after 5 seconds.
The person who receives the plague will get an X above their head (placed by DBM). As soon as you get the plague, run towards the tank with the horrors. Once there, the assigned healer will dispel it, making it jump onto the Horror. After that is done, run back to your original position.

All range and healers will group together to make raid healing and running towards the Horror easier.

Healers
Best set-up will be 3 healers, 1 tank heal, 1 raid heal and 1 support heal (this one will also dispell Necrotic Plague).

There are a few things to watch out for in this phase. First of, the tank that is tanking the shambling horrors will start take increased damage when the horror enrages, so be watchful for this (DBM will warn you). The Lich King will also increase his damage output throughout this phase due to the jumps of Necrotic Plague, by the end of phase 1 the tank will take increased damage. The adds will not do a lot of damage and since they will be AoE'd down there is not much to worry about.

The LK has an ability called Infest. This will put a DoT on everyone in the raid that is only removable by topping up the raids health (much like the DoT from King Dread in DTK). As soon as infest is cast, the raid healer and support healer need to heal up the raid ASAP, otherwise there will be casualties. If there is a disc priest in the raid he can shield right before infest is cast to minimize the raid-damage. If not, raid healers need to act quickly to heal up the raid.

Tanks
Tanks, please add something and I'll put it up here Smile

DPS
DPS, please add something and I'll put it up here Smile
Shanla
Shanla

Back to top Go down

The Lich King tactics (please read before going to the raid) Empty Re: The Lich King tactics (please read before going to the raid)

Post  Teshija Tue May 25, 2010 5:17 am

I have just recently realised this is here, so I will put my input on tanking buisness.

Me and Sil tried out some various combinations, and decided its best for him to tank the LK and dredge ghouls and for me to tank the shambling horrors. I am still not sure this is the soundest solution couse we always end up in phase 1.5 with more than the raid can actually handle.
We decided on this as the easiest way to do it tanking wise, altho we still dont know if it is the most effective way to do it.

Tanking LK is easy peasy and there is not any real trouble surviving comfortably even higher level of his buff stacks, up to 30 ish is very easily menageble, and after that depending on gear you should start toying with CDs. Dredge ghouls are insignificant really and you can survive tons of them on you, altho they should be used to stack up necrotic plague before it actually hits shamblling horrors. And that is the part up for debate. Tanking wise its easier for OT to just taunt off Shambling horror leaving dredge ghouls on the MT. However that tactic isnt happiest becouse they are not used for powering up necrotic plague and we always pull many of them with us on P 1.5. On the other hand without hunter and rogue in party its insanely hard to get them to OT. IMO we should work on this a bit more. I even think positioning all the mobs and LK together could do us wonders here. Was watching some movies where that is the case.
OT on other hands have several worries. Shambling horrors are HARD, and I do mean HARD. They have an enrage which hits you very very hard. They also have an shockwave and for that they need to be turned away from the raid. If the shockwave hits you while on enrage mash cooldowns as fast as possible, but most likley you wont have the time for it. There is a upside to this and that is that they can be stunned during the enrage. All this is easily manageble when you have 1 up. When you have 2 up its very, very tricky, and with 3 up it is nearly impossible. And there were situations when we had 3 up. Mostly becouse ghouls were on the MT I think.

Think we have to do a lot of rework on this particular problem in order to get safely into transition phase.

I suggest that before raid we all go on vent and look the movie from tankspot (I found them the best for nearly all encounters, and I always study from those). Just so we can all be on the same page. Anyways here is the link:
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?62999-Icecrown-Lich-King
Teshija
Teshija

Back to top Go down