Doomed Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5)

3 posters

Go down

Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5) Empty Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5)

Post  Buculus Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:45 am

4. Team Play, Coordination

This section is much more based off my own personal experiences than any calculations or theories, so read it, take what you think is good and use it, and scratch the rest if you don't like it or doesn't apply to your own situation.

Team Play with other tanks.

The first part I'd like to talk about is how to coordinate and play with a team of tanks. That would be, in most cases, in a raid. First of all, having a channel or ventrilo/teamspeak to communicate is probably of vital importance to this subject. You need to talk to your mates and let them know what you're thinking, what you're up to, and about to do if it's risky. You'll need their help for anything else.

It is important to know who is doing what job before starting, even if the jobs will be switched around during the encounter. The Main Tank is the Main Tank and the Off Tank is the Off Tank. Everyone needs to be aware of his responsibility, and acknowledge the responsibility of the others in his group. If the Main Tank is pulling, it is his job to pull, and if things go wrong, he must be able to explain to the rest of the group what went wrong and under his responsibility, acknowledge errors and mistakes.

If another tank decides to start doing the Main Tank's job, this MT is still responsible for the group, but no longer has the tools to do his job. A perfect example would be when the Main Tank is also the puller (instead of a hunter), the group is waiting for mana, but another tank wants to hurry, and decides to pull. People could die due to lack of mana, something that tank may have not thought about, but it is still the MT's responsibility. That tank just insulted the MT in the face and even may have killed people. And sadly, people will most likely look to the MT for responsibility over what just happened.

In several target pulls, every tank must know what he is tanking, and others must be aware of what the rest is tanking. Yes this is stressful, and can even be forgotten on easy pulls, but in more dangerous places, even on farm status, things can always go wrong simply because your group of tanks did not care enough to take 5 seconds and assign targets.

Considering that several points bring us to taunting, I'll open up a mini section on the matter, since taunting is a powerful skill, but can end up being difficult to understand use.

Taunting, is basically just that, using the skill taunt to force a target to look at you. The description of the skill is in the section above, but we'll repeat. Whenever you use taunt, the target is forced to look at you for 3 seconds. On addition to this, your threat will equal the one of the highest target, which will leave you 3 seconds to make a 10% more threat and gain total aggro. Fine until here. Now the complications:

Let's talk about the necessity of rage to maintain aggro and increase your threat: during the 3 seconds that the taunt debuff is on the target, the target is locked on you, and hitting you, which in return, gives you more rage, with which you can build more threat. If an OT decides to taunt as well during this time, he is preventing you from getting this aggro, and not only that, he is making you lose precious time to reach that 10% you need for the aggro lock. By the time all the taunters are done, through this, if the person who stole aggro was still hitting the target, you could have not made up for the 10% needed and the target would return to the DPSer, while your taunt is on cooldown and requiring other methods to obtain aggro and keep your target alive. Basically, the MT could have made 4% of the total threat necessary, but then an OT taunted and this OT may not be able to do as much threat as the MT (the OTs usually are OTs because they don't have defiance, or because they simply aren't as skilled as the MT).

More to this then, it is quite difficult to explain but I'll keep trying to do my best. Let's say we have an MT who doesn't have a Target's Target mod (this is a good one http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=1161, although I just use nurfed unitframes). He just goes around hitting things and trying to get everything to face him, because if it's not facing him, it must be facing a dpser! That's very sweet of that MT, he's trying to do his job, but what if the target was being hit on one of his OTs? This OT had the situation perfectly controlled but the MT comes after his target died and taunted his target. This, usually, won't be too dangerous, heck, it may even go back on the OT. But was it necessary? Did you just burn your taunt for nothing, switching the healers attention to you, the OT was at half life, the mob goes back to him, does a crit and a crushing blow immediately after, the OT dies, someone else had secondary aggro (you don't seriously think that simply by taunting you'll have made all your homework do you? That mage is gonna burn his ToEP and crit it down like he's possessed!), it flies to that mage, wipes him in the face, maybe even does a cone breath on all your healers, all this while your taunt is on cooldown, that cone breath had also a debuff that lasts 30 seconds and does damage every 3 seconds, etc.

This may seem very unlikely to happen, sure, it is. But dude, you just wiped your group because you did not know how to use your taunt correctly, and trust me, the only time where you learn how to tank, is while you are tanking, not when you go solo mobs for practice. So doing things the right way every time will prepare you for that day that things really will go wrong, and save your group.

Taunt is not a little toy to be spamming, you need it up when things go wrong, and seriously, what are you gaining by spamming it, bumping your threat to the maximum target, who, by the way, was you? Learn how to use the tools you have at your disposal the best possible way, and taunt when it's necessary, get mods to help you watch and coordinate with other tanks, if they're about to die, taunt off them, save their life. But don't go around in a competition to see who can hold as many mobs as possible to him/her, if it's not broken, don't fix it, your OTs, or your MTs, are not totally useless.

That brings me up to the next point, and that's doing things correctly all the time. Just because something is easy at this point in the game and in your experience does not mean you can totally disregard them and act like they can be shrugged off. You need to be on your toes all the time, ready for anything, and be as serious as you can while protecting the rest. A "he disconnected" is not an acceptable excuse to yourself if you could have saved the group by doing things correctly and thinking of the encounter as it is. No one will blame you if you don't, but you should blame yourself for having the chance to prevent a catastrophic ending and not doing so because you didn't want to be serious.

Even more, for a starting tank, and even an experienced tank, you don't have many chances to tank and learn your job. Tanking is all experience, and reading this guide will only give you pointers or comparisons that you'll meet or have met during your tanking life so that you can organize your thoughts and explain things to yourself. So remember that it's important to be serious on the job, if you don't feel like being serious about the security of others, then this is not the job for you.

Team Play with the rest of your group.

Priests, paladins, shamans, droods, your healers. Mages, warlocks, rogues, hunters, DPS warriors, etc. All these classes have their own jobs, and accommodating to them, knowing their jobs, their worries, their classes in general is a good thing to add for your tanking ability. If you know that a backstab dagger needs to be behind your target to backstab, you'll be able to offer them better positions, move less and help them fulfill their job. Knowing that a hunter can pull for you from far ahead, or feign death if the pull doesn't work out well, can save people many times.

And just like you think about them, they need to think about you, especially on dangerous mobs or bosses, give you some time to build threat on these so it won't fly off to them right away. This is more of a raid leader's job, but on boss fights, they need to give you time and you must do your best to put out as much threat as you can after positioning. That way your group will be able to do as much DPS as possible without stealing aggro, and killing the mob faster is the best mitigation you could have!

I have said it in another section, but thinking about your healers is very important. Positioning is most of what you'll have to do while thinking about the rest of your group, but other times the job will prove even further and again, communicating, will be your best friend. Listening and asking your group what is best for them and how to accomplish it will not only improve your skill as a tank, but your understanding of the game (which directly improves your tanking ... ). Remember things such as Line of Sight and Range while tanking, AOE damage, cone attacks, etc.

Coordinate your pulls with hunters using low ranks of their spells or higher ranks depending of the situation. Ask rogues to stealth and check what's in the next room for you and do the assists for you and the OTs (ok this won't really happen often, but you get the idea). Coordination with the rest of your group will not only improve their security, but also the speed at which the dungeon goes and how enjoyable everything will be to everyone.
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

https://doomedriders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5) Empty Re: Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5)

Post  Rawrrz Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:47 am

Holy shit, long guide xD
have a nice read Bucu Razz

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5) Empty Re: Comprehensive tanking guide for warriors (part 5)

Post  Buculus Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:47 am

Heheh - thanks Very Happy I hope this will help me a bit Very Happy
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:48 am

BTW - this is pre TBC guide so please add any comments and I'll edit it Smile
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Teshija Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 am

Damn man are you insane, Ill reed this for 54 hours now, and I was planning to read on circulation in kidney, well, nothing then, warrior guide lol
Teshija
Teshija

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 am

Heheheh Very Happy I have a copy in word ready to print Razz 11 or 12 pages I think Very Happy:D:D
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Teshija Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:48 am

I had a brief read through Ill give it more thought later on.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Spinebreaker&n=Teshija
Ok this is my warrior. Gear is somwhat different cause of solioing (only one ring, cape and shield i bealive is different whan tanking) Was fury until 60, Im tanking now and then, cause I really enjoy the job. Its really fun to do.
Anyway fury, arms all specs are good for leveling even protection as I see it now. Its not to slow, slower yes but not unberable. Anyways tanking in my experience is realy simple, I realy dont understand why people keep writing books about it.
First of all protection is the only spec for tanks on later levels, not becouse its easier for tanking, but its easier on the healers plus shield tanking without shield is insane. Second, tanks should mark and PULL, never charge (there are situatiations where you can do so) but pull is always better for me. Marks are single most important thing in the game, its easier for everybody. Could be slower but if you die couse humanoid decided to run away and you couldnt stop him in time you all die and loose more time. Mind the group, eating, mana breaks and so on, DONT go charging in without back up. Whenever you can make the classes use sheep, sap and hunters ice trap (that block of ice) or whatever it is called. Again easier on everybody.
To build a threat without CC aid: this is where everybody should stay cool for a bit. Pull the main target sunder (devastate later on) 1,2 times, thunderclap, cleave, thunderclap again if possible if not finish the sunder till the end, combine revenge, shield slam and bash whenever needed. Devastate (sounder) other targets from time to time. And yes: concussion blow great talent gives a time to breath a bit when tight situations arise. After this there is not a god on earth who will take the mob from you. Just make shure the group is hitting the same mob you are hitting. If you have a mage he pulls with sheep, and you take other mobs from him with thunderclap easy, just make shure nobody is hitting around. After the first target is down you take on second third etc.
Anyway pay close attentions to other players always tank so you can face the group! When I am tanking mobs never go after a healer (thank god) healers are mostly mature players and now how to behave. Problems arise with mages sometimes, and Shamans, always shamans tend to overaggro for some reason. Anyone knows why?
When dealing with CC take out trap, sap then sheep in that order. DONT use thunderclap, sweeping strikes or cleave in these situations.
Never stop hitting target before its dead espeacialy humanoid who tend to run away.
When dealing with mobs that reset aggro, make everyone stay close to you.
Use taunt ONLY in need when mob breaks away, forget the mocking blow, you cant use it in protection anyway.
The ugliest thing of tanking is that people dont make it easier on you. I am tanking groups of people who just write gogogogo on chat if you slow down a second, and start hitiing on the skull as hard as they can without waiting a couple of secs for you to build aggro. All have been in instances a million times and they want to do a RUN. Runs kill people. And then you are running all around the room trying to pull all the mobs back on you because they dont have 3 secs to wait before attacking and of course its your fault then. Except when you have a hunter in group then all point finger at the poor beast without reason cause they red on a forums pet can do that.
Anyway Buc I was looking in your talents in armory. For fury I found this to be ideal talent tree. Trust me on this one its fast great fun, lot of rage and you dont die as often! if you dont want to then nothing Very Happy I started same as you but changed later on, was great afterwords.
5 cruelty
5 unbridled wrath
5 commanding presensce, 3 blood craze
5 in enrage and dual wield specialization
1 sweeping strikes 2 wepon mastry
5 Flurry
3 precision 1 bloodthirst
1 rampage
After this you work around with what you wanna do. But dont use improved beserker stance since you are bent on tanking
Loose the booming voice and piercing howl for the first 41 talents, they are not that useful.
Teshija
Teshija

Back to top Go down

Post  Rawrrz Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 am

Havent read it all, but blood craze sucks Razz

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks Nyctalus Very Happy

Unfortunatelly I re-specced over the weekend and this is how my build looks like at the moment:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVMhdGiozZV

Armory still shows my old build with me at lvl38 Smile I'm 41 at the moment and specced for arms as I really enjoy BGs and was looking for some decent pvp build Smile I should manage tanking with this build as well Smile Few good pointers you wrote there - thanks Smile

Main problem I have is aggro on multiple mobs. It's all cool when I have 1,2 or even 3 mobs. I can handle this if only pds assist me instead of hitting everything around Smile But when we have pull of 5 or 6 then whatever you say I can hammer down skull and dps can assist me on it but first heal and other mobs are on my healers back... That's the problem. Tanking on bosses/single mobs is piece of cake Smile Keeping aggro on 4 or 5 mobs is where trouble starts for me Smile
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Teshija Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:05 am

Rawrrz wrote:Havent read it all, but blood craze sucks Razz
No it does not, helps you stay alive when soloing, helps a lot. I belive all have trouble tanking 4-5-6 mobs. In case of trash, they are trash DPS AOE takes them out in no time leave them be. Keep on elites. When tanking up to 6 elites, either something has gone wrong and you have those on your hands, (its trouble you have to wing it) or it is extreamly hard part of dungeon like those guys that ran out from jails in hellfire citadel. Otherwise normal tanking should be up to 4 elites max, and 2 of those should be taken care of by CC. 6 elite mobs are trouble however you look at it or however well you tank. So again, PULL, avoid tanking 6 mobs. In my experiance 6 mobs are always trouble Very Happy
Teshija
Teshija

Back to top Go down

Post  Buculus Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 am

Hmmm I guess I was too focused on keeping them all on me and I was loosing elites as well. Next time I'll focus on elites and use some aoe (thunder clap, demo shout) before trash run off to get dps/healer to soften them slightly and keep hammering down elites Smile

I guess in this case dps should focus on trash first and not attack elites to make my life easier and avoid trash running for healer. Then I should keep elites on me with some steady healing from behind and dpss should take trash on their own. Then they could assist me on elites and by this time I should have enough threat to allow them to nuke away Smile

It seems that tanking require a lot of group cooperation Smile
Buculus
Buculus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Teshija Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 am

Buculus wrote:Hmmm I guess I was too focused on keeping them all on me and I was loosing elites as well. Next time I'll focus on elites and use some aoe (thunder clap, demo shout) before trash run off to get dps/healer to soften them slightly and keep hammering down elites Smile

I guess in this case dps should focus on trash first and not attack elites to make my life easier and avoid trash running for healer. Then I should keep elites on me with some steady healing from behind and dpss should take trash on their own. Then they could assist me on elites and by this time I should have enough threat to allow them to nuke away Smile

It seems that tanking require a lot of group cooperation Smile

ANy good mage can take out trash easily. Forget about them and concentrate on elites. If they run away trouble Very Happy
Well not just tanking, all part of the instance grouping requires cooperation I guess. But tanks have most responsability, and if the group respect the tanks wishes (provided he is not a completly stupid and does stupid things), follow the marks and keep calm on DPS on the first few seconds instances are great way of having fun. I think this is the 80 % percent of good run. The rest falls on individuals skills and gear!
Teshija
Teshija

Back to top Go down

Post  Rawrrz Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 am

Blood Craze heals 3% of your hp after been critted, it sucks.....
At level 70 with average pve dps gear that heals you for a whole 270hp....over 6 seconds.

Thats not going to help at all Neutral

Rawrrz

Back to top Go down

Post  Teshija Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:51 am

Rawrrz wrote:Blood Craze heals 3% of your hp after been critted, it sucks.....
At level 70 with average pve dps gear that heals you for a whole 270hp....over 6 seconds.

Thats not going to help at all Neutral
Well I never said its great, its usefull and helps you stay alive while soliong. You are a fury warrior facing 2 or 3 mobs, solo you are in a tight spot. Every now and then mob lands a critical strike and every now and then you get life refill, I mean its not once in combat its after every critical strike which you get often when you are not protection, it is small amount true but better that than nothing. Its not much but with blood thirst later on it helps a good deal to stay alive. It helped me anyways. Anyway when you are 70 you ditch it, I have at 60. I m now almost completly protection.
Very Happy LOL this is what I love abot this game when you get around and see two people having completly different opinnions on the same thing.
Teshija
Teshija

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down